Ten Palm Beach County public schools will not only welcome new students when they open Aug. 14, they will welcome new principals.
The 10 schools and their new principals:
- Boynton Beach High School: Guarn Sims
- Forest Hill Elementary School: Scott McNichols
- Freedom Shores Elementary School: Dan Smith
- Jeaga Middle School: Anthony Allen
- Jerry Thomas Elementary School: Jeff Eassa
- Jupiter Elementary School: Patricia Trejo
- Lake Worth High School: Elvis Epps
- Turning Points Academy: Kevin Gatlin
- Woodlands Middle School: Enrique Vela
- West Riviera Elementary School: Robin Brown
The number of changes is shy of the marks set in 2015, when 16 schools got new principals, and 2016, when than number was 13.
For Boynton Beach and Lake Worth high schools, the change in leadership has been a very public affair.
District officials said veteran administrator Guarn Sims would replace Fred Barch at Boynton Beach High after student achievement faltered and community activists began calling for a change.
Lake Worth High saw its principal George Lockhart removed from campus last December amid an investigation that eventually concluded among other things that Lockhart asked teachers to do his son’s math work, pressured teachers to change students’ grades and charged students to attend school pep rallies. He’s now working in the district’s charter school office.
The district tapped Elvis Epps from its Office of Professional Standards to step into the job as interim principal in February and now the ‘interim’ is dropped from that title. Learn a little more from this Palm Beach Post Q & A with Epps.